Office Hours : 9am - 7pm Mon to Fri. 9.30am - 7pm Sat. 10am - 7pm Sun
Call us on
Quote 'DT' when you phone

Update or Assign a Certificate of Entitlement

Are you ready to assign the registration you own on a certificate to a vehicle? If your vehicle is unregistered and you will be, or have purchased it from a dealer, then give the V750 to them. They will usually handle everything for you.

On this page:
Ready to Assign?
To Update your Certificate of Entitlement

Ready to Assign?

Keepers of registered vehicles should post the following to DVLA, Swansea.

V750 Document

The V750 document should be filled in and signed at section one. Note that "Vehicle Registration Number" refers to the present mark of the vehicle.

The "Validation Character" can be found on the inside cover of the registration certificate (V5C) in section four.

V5C Registration Certificate

The registration certificate V5C.

(You can change the name and address if you are the new keeper at the same time).

MOT Certificate

If applicable, you will need your valid MOT certificate.

Tax Disc

Provide a photocopy of your valid tax disc or V10 tax disc application

This requirement will disappear once tax discs are no longer issued.

Vehicle Insurance

A valid certificate of insurance or cover note (only is applying for tax at the same time).

Insurance will be checked online in future.


The appropriate DVLA fee - £25 if changing or adding a "nominee" in order to match the keeper of the vehicle.

Note that DVLA will not assign a registration number to an untaxed vehicle.

What Happens Next?

You will receive a letter confirming the transaction including a new tax disc (if still being issued), amended MOT certificate (if applicable) plus a V948 form to authorise you to have a set of acrylic plates made.

Your new V5C will come direct from DVLA, Swansea.

When to Expect your Documents

To receive your tax disc you should expect to wait about two weeks.

To receive your V5C registration certificate, wait about four weeks.

To Update your Certificate of Entitlement

You, the purchaser, can apply to change your address by filling in section four and signing it at section eight. Then post the certificate to DVLA Personalised Registrations, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DN.

Alternatively you can change your address online at

You can add or change nominee details by filling in section two "nominee details". Use this facility if you want to assign the mark to a vehicle belonging to another keeper. You should copy the name from their V5C to avoid mistakes.

DVLA will charge you £25 to change or add a nominee.

There is no charge for an address change.

Note that DVLA will not change the purchaser's name.

If you are ready to assign to the nominated keeper's vehicle, you can add or change the nominee name at the same time as assigning. You, as purchaser, must sign at section six to authorise the new nominee name.

In addition to the documents mentioned above, you will need to provide the DVLA fee of £25 - this is known as the nominee fee.

Decided Not to Use the Retained Registration?

You can apply for a refund of the assignment fee (£80) after the certificate has expired and within six years of that date.

Complete section five and sign at section six. Only the purchaser can apply to receive the refund. The purchase price of the mark will not be refunded and the right to the private plate will be lost.

Purchased from a Dealer?

The dealer's name may be at the top of the certificate and, therefore, DVLA will regard them as the "purchaser". The dealer will always sign the certificate to authorise any changes or extensions on your behalf. You will have to send the certificate to the dealer who will usually change an administration fee. Once you have assigned the mark to a vehicle, the dealer will no longer be involved. 

Last updated: Wednesday 12th March 2014 at 3:53pm

By Eric Craggs - Google+