Office Hours : 9am - 7pm Mon to Fri. 9.30am - 7pm Sat. 10am - 7pm Sun
Call us on
Quote 'DT' when you phone

How to Transfer a Private Registration

This article explains how you can transfer a personalised registration from one vehicle to another and explains the DVLA regulations currently in place.

Similar regulations apply to the transfer of a private registration to or from a Northern Ireland registered vehicle.

The V317 Form

You will need the V317 application to transfer or retain a vehicle registration number. This can also be collected from a Post Office which issues tax discs, or downloaded from the internet.

Section two of the V317 form should be signed and completed by the keeper of the donor vehicle (the vehicle from which the registration number is being transferred). Section three of the form asks for the details of the keeper and vehicle the registration number is being transferred to.

The Required Documents

The following apply to both vehicles in the transfer. You will need:

  • The vehicle registration certificate (V5C)
  • MOT or GVT (Goods Vehicle Test) certificate if applicable (i.e. vehicle older than three years old)
  • A photocopy of the current tax disc or an application for a tax disc V10 plus the appropriate fee and insurance certificate (if tax discs are still being issued)
  • The transfer fee which is currently £80

Paying for the Transfer

Cheques are also accepted and should be made out to "DVLA Swansea" or, for transfers to vehicles in Northern Ireland, "DVA". Postal Orders are also acceptable.

The Regulations for Transferring a Number Plate

The Vehicles

  • Both vehicles must exist and be registered on the DVLA or Northern Ireland (Coleraine) computer
  • Both vehicles must be available for inspection if deemed necessary, although this is rare.
  • The vehicle given in section two (i.e. the vehicle currently registered with the mark; sometimes called the "donor" vehicle) must either be taxed or be declared SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) - see below.


  • There can be no break between the tax expiry date and the start of the SORN
  • Only 12 months are allowed after the last tax expiry date (i.e. one SORN application) otherwise the vehicle has to be re-taxed (and, thus, have to undergo an MOT test if appropriate)
  • The vehicle in section three (sometimes referred to as the "receiving" vehicle) must be taxed as DVLA will not transfer a registration to an un-taxed vehicle
  • An application for tax may be made at the same time as the transfer - any changes to the V5C may also be made at the same time

Also note that:

  • You can only transfer vehicles which are subject to an MOT or GVT test some time in their life
  • You cannot transfer to or from a vehicle registered with a Q mark.

Where to Send?

All the above completed documentation should be sent to:-

DVLA Personalised Registrations, Swansea, SA99 1DS.

To avoid any mistakes or wasting time, refer to the Document Checking Service page.

The Next Steps

Once your application is approved by the DVLA the following will happen:

  • The vehicle in section two will be allocated another age-related registration (unless you are transferring or assigning another registration of your choice at the same time)
  • The mark on the vehicle in section three will be lost unless you apply to transfer or retain it
  • Your MOT certificate will be amended to show the new registration number and sent to the appropriate vehicle keeper
  • Tax discs showing the new marks will be issued and sent out as above
  • V948 authorisation to have acrylic plates made will also be sent.
  • Your new V5C will be issued from Swansea and will arrive separately. The legal time to display your acrylic number plates is when you have a tax disc or V5/C to match, whichever arrives first.

Last updated: Wednesday 12th March 2014 at 4:14pm

By Eric Craggs - Google+